Sunday, January 29, 2012

White Chicken Enchiladas

I've been trying to live up to the "more doing, less pinning" part of Pinterest, which in fact is easy to do since there are so many great recipes and projects and things! One recipe I stumbled upon and had to make was a White Chicken Enchiladas recipe. Here it is:
10 soft taco shells (I used whole wheat, medium sized)
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (I bought uncooked breasts and cooked them then shredded them using two forks)
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (in the future I might use a Mexican blend)
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour (I used whole wheat)
2 cups chicken broth (I used low sodium)
1 cup sour cream
1 (4oz) can diced green chilies

Preheat oven to 350˚ degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan.
Mix chicken and 1 cup cheese. Roll up the mixture in tortillas and place in pan.
In a sauce pan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Add broth and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
Stir in sour cream and chilies. Do NOT bring to a boil, you don't want curdled sour cream.
Pour over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.
Bake 25 minutes and then under high broil, brown for 3 minutes until golden.

*This was very yummy, but I'm more of a spicy, seasonings-loving kind of gal so in the future (because I WILL be making this again) I will be adding a little more to it, maybe some garlic, onions, chili powder, red peppers, jalapenos, maybe some black olives, or red pepper flakes, something just to give it a little more kick. Hot sauce is always a plus to any meal. :)

1 comment:

  1. nom nom! i love white chicken enchiladas! i HAVE to add caramelized onions (it infuses the sauce with a ton of flavor) and all the other ingredients you listed are delich additions. Now I am totally craving some saucy cheesy goodness :)

    ReplyDelete